Water Asset Renewable Energy Solutions NPP project
Water Asset Renewable Energy Solutions (WARES) is a two-year strategic project of the Northern Periphery Programme, which explores the opportunities to generate renewable energy at water utility assets. The main objective of the project is to provide innovative renewable energy solutions to remote areas by finding unused opportunities for renewable energy generation within the activities and property of the water sector. WARES aims at establishing partnerships between the water industry and neighbouring communities and help sourcing the capital investment required to commercialise these opportunities, such as creating Public Private Partnerships.
The project is led by the International Resources and Recycling Institute in Scotland, in partnership with Action Renewables in Northern-Ireland, Mayo County Council and Clár-ICH in Ireland, Narvik Science Park and Northern Research Institute in Norway, and the University of Oulu in Finland.
Main activities at NorTech Oulu
Articles in domestic scientific compilations
- Pongrácz E, Mikkonen L, Miilumäki N and Hänninen N (2013) Water vs. energy – Finding hidden energy potential to provide clean water. In: Proc. Water research at the University of Oulu, 15.8. 2013. Erweko Oy, pp. 157-160.
- Mikkonen L, Rämö J, Keiski RL and Pongrácz E (2013) Heat recovery from wastewater: Assessing the potential in Northern areas. In: Proc. Water research at the University of Oulu, 15.8. 2013. Erweko Oy, pp. 161-164.
- Mikkonen L, Rämö J, Keiski RL and Pongrácz E(2013) CO2 reduction potential of renewable energy generation at water utilities. In: Proc. Clean air research at the University of Oulu, 12.11.2013. Erweko Oy, pp. 89-91.
This project is funded by the Northern Periphery Programme
- Diploma work of Victor Pavlov published
- WARES Conference (4.6.2014) presentations and summary of panel discussion at the conference site
- WARES conference in Oulu, 4.6.2014, pictures in Facebook
- WARES partner meeting in Oulu, 3.6.2014, pictures in Facebook
- WARES with a poster at the Clean Air Research Conference, 12.11.2013
- WARES project presented at the Water Research Conference, 15.8.2013
- WARES e-book published by IRRI
- Diploma work of Lauri Mikkonen published
- WARES partner meeting in Derry, Northern Ireland, 3.-4.9.2013, pictures in Facebook
- WARES partner meeting in Narvik, Norway, 27-29..5.2013, pictures in Facebook
- WARES PARTNER meeting in Ireland, Mayo County, 11-14.3.2013, pictures in Facebook
Centre of Northern Environmental Technology (NorTech Oulu)
of Oulu, FINLAND
Thule Institute, P.O. Box 7300
Tel. +358 294 48 7417
Fax +358 8 553 3564